Pear Muffins

I was inspired to make some pear muffins after getting some very sweet and juicy pears for a great price at the market. I tweaked my basic muffin recipe and came up with a nice pear muffin variation – perfect for school lunches.

Pear Muffins

Ingredients:

• 2 cups self raising flour
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 3 tsp cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 pears

Method:
This recipe makes about 15 – 18 muffins.

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees

Pear Muffins
2. Sift flour, cinnamon and sugar into a bowl. Mix and make a well in the middle.

Pear Muffins
3. Core and grate pears.

Pear Muffins
4. In a separate bowl mix the remaining ingredients (except pear).

5. Pour the liquid ingredients into well and mix with a wooden spoon.

Pear Muffins
6. Add grated pear and mix lightly through.

Pear Muffins
7. Spoon into well greased muffin pans or patty pans in muffin tray.

8. Cooking time depends on the size and oven, but 12- 15 minutes is about average for the standard patty pan size.

9. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes in the trays before cooling further on wire racks.

Pear Muffins

What seasonal fruits are you baking with at the moment? (You can see a list of seasonal fruit and veg here.)

Pear Muffins

Author::
Recipe type: lunch box
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups self raising flour
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • 3 tsp cinnamon
  • ¾ cup milk
  • ½ cup canola oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 pears
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
  3. Core and grate pears.
  4. In a separate bowl mix the remaining ingredients (except pear).
  5. Pour the liquid ingredients into well and mix with a wooden spoon.
  6. Add grated pear and mix lightly through.
  7. Spoon into well greased muffin pans or patty pans in muffin tray.
  8. Cooking time depends on the size and oven, but 12-15 minutes is about average for the standard patty pan size.

Did you enjoy this post?
Need help getting organised? Download Guide ✼ Plan ✼ Check ✓ to get you started.
Sign up for our newsletter and get a free guide to help simplify your daily tasks.
Tags: ,

• Jule April 28, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I’ll have to try these! I make the basic muffin recipe all the time (twice today).

• PlanningQueen April 28, 2012 at 6:11 pm

I have been known to do that too! It is nice to have quick variations up your sleeve.

• Nicole April 28, 2012 at 8:36 pm

would you make it the same with apples? how would I have to change it if I added raspberries? or would I? (sorry, not very good at knowing how to alter the liquids, etc)
    thanks!

• PlanningQueen April 29, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Hi Nicole,

Definitely could make this with apples. See Bryony’s comment below about how she makes her apple muffins with some puree as well.

Nic

• Bryony Barkhuizen April 29, 2012 at 9:36 am

Delicious, have made some for kindy lunches this week. I substituted the pears for apples, used wholemeal flour and put in half a cup of apple purée instead of the oil.

• PlanningQueen April 29, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Thanks for sharing your Bryony!

• Lulu April 29, 2012 at 11:18 am

Wow these all look really tasty-I’ll be in the kitchen later today trying the recipes out (I may even try to sneak some veg like baby spinach leaves into the scrolls).
    Bryony: I like the idea of using apple purée instead of the oil in the muffins I’ll use that trick : )

• PlanningQueen April 29, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Hi Lulu,

That is the great things about the scrolls, you can add all sorts of things to them.

Nic

• [...] the posts I know helps lots of readers of the blog. Take for example the post from the weekend on Pear Muffins. There have already been suggestions in the comments on how to tweak the recipe to suit the [...]

• liz June 09, 2013 at 6:19 pm

how do i print these recipes?

• Planning Queen June 09, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Hi Liz,

I am in the process of adjusting the website and the printing function isn’t working at the moment, but should be very soon. I wil email again to let you know.

Nic