Simple Salad Recipes - Strawberry and Cucumber Salad

When I told a friend before Christmas that I was having a Greek inspired menu plan, she told me about a salad she had at a recent BBQ and how she thought it would work well with my menu plan. I didn’t make it for Christmas Day, but did make it to give it a try with my kids.

My kids don’t eat many mixed salads. They are happy to eat raw veggies etc, but when it comes to something mixed in a bowl, even if it is ingredients they like, they don’t seem to so keen on it. I though this salad might win them over as they all love the two key ingredients – strawberries and cucumber.

And it worked! All of them ate it, one wasn’t quite convinced that it was better than the ingredients on their own, but the rest all had more than one serve. Dad loved it too!

Simple Salad Recipes – Strawberry and Cucumber Salad

Ingredients:

• 200ml greek yoghurt
  • 2 cloves crushed garlic
  • 2 tbs mint
  • 1 tbs parsley
  • 2 lebanese cucumbers
  • 350g strawberries

Method:
Simple Salad Recipes - cucumber deseeded
Peel and de-seed cucumbers.

Simple Salad Recipes - cucumber chopped
Chop cucumber into small chunks and place into a medium sized salad bowl.

Simple Salad Recipes - strawberries chopped
Hull and chop strawberries into rough chunks and place into salad bowl. Gently mix cucumber and strawberries.

Simple Salad Recipes - herbs chopped
Chop mint and parsley and crush garlic in a bowl.

Simple Salad Recipes - yoghurt dressing
Add yoghurt and combine. Add yoghurt dressing to the salad and toss gently.

Simple Salad Recipes - Strawberry and Cucumber Salad
Serve and enjoy!

I am keen to try some more summer salads that are kid friendly, so feel free to leave links in the comments to recipes that you think are worth a try.

Strawberry and Cucumber Salad

Author::
Recipe type: salad
Ingredients:
  • 200ml greek yoghurt
  • 2 cloves crushed garlic
  • 2 tbs mint
  • 1 tbs parsley
  • 2 lebanese cucumbers
  • 350g strawberries
Method:
  1. Peel and de-seed cucumbers.
Chop cucumber into small chunks and place into a medium sized salad bowl.
Chop mint and parsley and crush garlic in a bowl.
Add yoghurt and combine. Add yoghurt dressing to the salad and toss gently.
Serve and enjoy!

Tags: , ,

• Kathy January 08, 2012 at 10:54 am

This looks yummy +++ I’m not sure what my kids would make of it – none of them eat cucumber as a separate, but all love strawbs and yoghurt so might be worth a try.

What about a sour-cream based potato & bacon salad? My kids like that one a lot: http://playeatlearnlive.blogspot.com/2011/11/potato-salad-with-sour-cream.html

• PlanningQueen January 16, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Love the idea of a sour cream potato salad and bacon is an extra bonus – thanks Kathy.

• Melissa January 08, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I don’t have a link to a recipe as it’s just one that my family make, but the kids quite like it and it’s super easy to make.

Mix a large tin of 4 bean mix, 400g tin of corn, one chopped red capsicum, half a finely diced red onion, 1/3 cup currants and a tub of mung bean sprouts. Stir through about 1/3 cup mayo or until the salad is coated. Just before serving, top with some chopped pecans or other nuts. Se easy and so yummy!

• PlanningQueen January 16, 2012 at 9:20 pm

This sounds very healthy too! Thanks for sharing Melissa.

• Brooke January 09, 2012 at 8:56 am

I can’t quite imagine what this one would taste like with the strawberries. Will have to give it a go. I once had a pasta dish with strawberries in it and it worked.

We like Woolworths Lite and Tasty pasta salad. Mum used to make it go further by adding more pasta. I’ve been meaning to try making my own version of it at home.

• PlanningQueen January 16, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I know what you mean about imagining how it tastes – I was very wary making it!

• Hilary January 11, 2012 at 8:40 pm

We tried the Strawberry and Cucumber Salad tonight. It was a hit. My kids don’t normally like mixed salads but they do eat a lot of raw veg. They love cucumber and 3 out of 4 like strawberries. In total 5 out of 6 ate the salad so that is a winner for me. BTW – it was so easy to prepare that my 7 yr old made up the dressing and i think next time she could do the entire thing on her own.

• PlanningQueen January 16, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Thanks so much for dropping by to let us know Hilary and I think this would be a great one for kids to make.

• Abbington January 12, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I have the same issue with my kids not liking salads very much – makes summer time BBQ’s a bit tricky! The two succesful ones we do, are a couscous & roast vege salad (it is in Donna Hay’s book ‘Off the Shelf’), and a cold pasta salad that has pesto mixed through while the pasta is warm, then is served either cool or room temp. The two pesto’s I use in it are either a standard basil-and-pine-nut, or a coriander, lime & fish sauce ‘pesto’.

• PlanningQueen January 16, 2012 at 9:23 pm

These both sound great Abbington, thanks for sharing them!