You know when you eat some delicious food when you are overseas and upon return you crave to have it again? Well that was the story of me and the Quesadilla! Within a week of returning from Los Angeles, I had found this website with great recipes and had made a special trip to the supermarket to make a Quesadilla for the littlest one and me for lunch.
The above photo is of a Quesadilla I made. The photo below is of the Quesadilla I had at the Hollywood Farmers Market. (Just for fun I have added some more photos of the market at the end of this post – it was a great place to eat and shop.)
My one was pretty close to tasting as amazing as the one at the market. The fresh tomato salsa is definitely the key to this dish. I ate the rest of the salsa straight – so fresh and tasty!
Quesadilla Recipe with Fresh Tomato Salsa
The salsa is best if it is made at least an hour before you eat it. I actually put some of the salsa in the quesadilla as well!
Fresh Tomato Salsa Ingredients:
- 3 medium sized tomatoes
- 1/2 spanish onion (I couldn’t find one at the green grocers, so just used a white onion.)
- 1 jalapeño chilli pepper (if you don’t like things too hot use half of this chilli or omit altogether)
- 1 red chilli
- 1 lime
- 1/2 cup coriander
2. Finely chop onion.
3. Squeeze the juice from the lime.
4. Remove the seeds etc from both chillies and finely dice.
5. Roughly chop coriander.
- Flour tortillas
- Grated tasty cheese
- Fresh tomato salsa (above!)
- 1 tsp Olive oil
1. Add oil to frying pan, cover the base of the and heat to a medium heat.
2. Once the pan is warmed, add tortilla to the pan.
3. Flip it over about every 10 seconds until pockets of air begin to form under the tortilla.
Hollywood Farmers Market
On my last day in Los Angeles I went on a bus tour which took me to Venice Beach, Beverley Hills and Hollywood. The Farmers Market was a highlight, I loved wandering amongst the food stalls and eateries.
The Market is a historic L.A. landmark and now tourist attraction, which first opened in July 1934. It is a key destination for foodies from around the world!
Hover the mouse over the photos for more information.
Have you been inspired to cook a new dish after traveling?mexican, vegetarian