The sauce is best when it has simmered for at least 15 minutes, but can be layered straight away on those nights when time is not plenty! I make the meat sauce first, then the white sauce, then layer this very basic and easy lasagne.
Meat Sauce Method:
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Finely chop onion.
3. Chop tomatoes in the tin, so that they are in small pieces.
4. Heat oil in a large frying pan.
5. Add onion and garlic and fry for 2 – 3 minutes.
6. Add mince, cook until brown. Breaking up as you cook it.
7. Add tomatoes and tomato paste and blend well, until excess liquid is evapourated.
8. Stir in pasta sauce, bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes.
White Sauce Method
1. Chop butter roughly and place in a microwave jug and add flour.
2. Cook for approx 45 seconds on high in microwave.
3. Stir vigorously to make a smooth paste.
4. Add milk, stir again and cook in microwave for 5 minutes.
5. Stir again, getting lumps out, particularly from the bottom.
6. Cook for approximately another 2 minutes.
1. Lightly spray lasagne dish with olive oil.
2. Lay lasange sheets on bottom of dish. Break bits up so entire bottom is covered.
3. In the pan divide the meat mixture into at least two portions (depending on size of dish).
4. Spread one half of the meat mixture over the lasagna sheets.
6. Add next layer of lasagne sheets and repeat until all sauce has been used.
7. After the final layer of lasange sheets, pour white sauce evenly over the top.
9. Bake for 40 minutes.
11. Take off foil, turn off oven and turn on grill.
11. Grill for 5 minutes or until golden on top. Can burn quickly so keep an eye on it.
12. Take out of the oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Monday: Slow Cooker Satay
Tuesday: Tomato and Basil Gnocchi
Wednesday: Left Overs
Thursday: Beef Stir Fry
If you are looking for further recipe inspiration, check out my complete list of Family Friendly Recipes. All of these recipes are in the database of the Planning With Kids Free Menu Planner. You can use the menu planner to plan a week of meals for your family and then print out the associated shopping list.