I cooked this super tasty Halloumi (Fried Cheese) on Sunday at my sister’s house. The exciting thing about this was my dad actually tasted it and loved it. My dad is very much a meat and three veg man, so to have him taste and eat something new was awesome. I considered this a special gift to my dad for father’s day!
- 500gm Halloumi cheese
- 2 eggs (only whites needed)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon
- Optional – Salad to serve
- Separate eggs whites. Lightly mix whites and water in a medium size bowl.
- Cut halloumi cheese into your desired shape. I just cut it into strips, but I have seen it cut into triangles as well.
- Dip the halloumi cheese into the egg-white mix and then dust with plain flour.
- In a heavy based fry pan, heat the olive oil on a medium heat.
- Once oil is hot, add cheese and cook for a couple of minutes each side.
- Cook the halloumi cheese until it is slightly soft and turns golden-brown.
- As the fry pan I used wasn’t large, I cooked the cheese in batches.
- Serve immediately with wedges of lemon and salad if desired.
Family Menu Plan For The Week
Monday: Sausages and Steamed Vegetables
Wednesday: Left Overs
Thursday: Fried Rice
Sunday: Slow Cooker Risotto
If you are looking for further recipe inspiration, check out my complete list of Family Friendly Recipes. All of these recipes are in the database of the Planning With Kids Free Menu Planner. You can use the menu planner to plan a week of meals for your family and then print out the associated shopping list.finger food, vegetarian