I randomly opened the book to a page with the recipe for Beef Carbonade. It looked like a pretty tasty recipe for a beef and beer casserole and I decided to tweak it for the slow cooker. Before my tweaks it was 7 Pro Points Values per serve, but I think my tweaks would have altered that slightly!
Slow Cooker Beef and Beer Casserole
- 2 tbs canola oil
- 1 leek
- 3 carrots
- 1 celery stalk
- 500 grams diced beef (I used blade)
- 2 tbs plain flour
- 330 mls lager beer (I used Stella Artois)
- 250 mls beef stock
- 3 tbs Dijon mustard
- 1 tbs Worcestershire Sauce
- Finely chop the carrots.
- Finely slice celery.
- Slice the leek – love the tip from this cook book on how to wash and slice the leek, as I always seem to have residual dirt in my leek. Cut off the top and bottom of the leek. Slice down the middle and cut the leek in half. Slice the leek finely, then place in a large bowl of water to rinse. Drain with a colander and then pat dry with paper towel – works a treat!
- Add all vegetables to the slow cooker.
- Toss the meat in flour. If the meat is in a plastic bag, I just add the flour to the bag and shake with some vigour.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and brown the meat.
- Add on top of the veggies in the slow cooker.
- Then to the frying pan you cooked the meat in, add beer, stock, mustard and Worcestershire Sauce. Allow to boil and scrape off any of the bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the liquid to the slow cooker.
- It does not look like there is much liquid, but it does develop as it cooks.
- Cook for four hours on high.
- Serve with rice and yoghurt.
If you like using a slow cooker, you can see all my slow cooker recipes here.
Our Family Menu Plan For This Week.
Baking: Chocolate Cake – super easy and super tasty cake for the kids lunches.
Monday: Slow Cooker Satay
Tuesday: Tomato and Basil Gnocchi
Wednesday: Left Overs
Thursday: Beef Stir Fry
If you are looking for further recipe inspiration, check out my complete list of Family Friendly Recipes. All of these recipes are in the database of the Planning With Kids Free Menu Planner. You can use the menu planner to plan a week of meals for your family and then print out the associated shopping list.beef, slow cooker, winter