Huggies MumInspired Grant Program

Image by Jeff KubinaI

When I first started blogging, I had been out of the paid workforce for seven years. Blogging seemed like a great way for me to learn some new skills, share my knowledge and dip my toe into the online world. I knew eventually I would want to return to the paid work force in some way, but didn’t like the idea of having to return to my corporate days so thought it would be worthwhile learning about new media.

As the years have passed with the blog, I have begun being able to earn a small part time income from it, but on a larger scale it has provided other income opportunities for me with freelance writing and my forthcoming book!

Online and in the real world, I see many other mums trying the same thing. Looking for ways to earn an income and find stimulation through paid work, by leveraging their extensive skill base and creative ideas they have.

If you have been trying to start up your own business or have an idea that you know will work, but just need some financial support to get it going then you should enter Huggies MumInspired Grant Program:

The Huggies MumInspired Grant Program is awarding 5 grants of $20,000 as well as hints and tips to further the development of original product ideas and startup businesses.

Ideas must be original products or services designed to help make life easier for parents so that they can better enjoy everyday moments with their little ones, from pre-natal care through the early childhood years up to 4 years of age. It’s important to note that Huggies® does not specifically seek ideas that are nappy or hygiene related.

5 winners will each receive a grant of $20,000. The general public will then be invited to vote for their favorite idea from the 5 winners. The winner of this vote will receive an additional $10,000 bringing their grant to $30,000.

I think this provides an amazing opportunity for a mum with an idea and passion to make it a reality. The Huggies MumInspired website has comprehensive information on how to apply for the grant, what they are looking for and how the successful applicants will be chosen. It also has a fantastic Business Resources section which has really useful info on topics like How to Write a Business Plan, How to Set Up a Website and Protecting Your Idea. Useful stuff even if you have started your business.

EDIT: Applications close Sunday 1st May 2011.

While I don’t expect you to share your actual idea, I would love to know if you have thought about starting up your own business or if you have started up your own business feel free to write about it in the comments.

Did you enjoy this post?
Need help getting organised? Download Guide ✼ Plan ✼ Check ✓ to get you started.
Sign up for our newsletter and get a free guide to help simplify your daily tasks.

Comments

1. Deb says

Thank you so much for sharing this info. I have been home for almost 8 years (this May) and have a major business idea for helping families, but my husband is very cautious and has not been willing to risk any of our money to start a business. I am not sure how soon the deadline is – must look later after kids are at school – but I am so grateful that soemthing like this has even been created. It is SO hard figuring out the next phase of life when you still want to be around for your kids before and after school.

Your blog will always be one of my favourites – love how you always tap into relevant scenarios and issues. Only wish you had time to post more frequently ; )

Thanks for the lovely words about the blog Deb! And I agree, it can be hard figuring out the next phase. Applications close Sunday 1st May, thanks for also for asking about. I have edited the post to include this info.

(And I often wish I had more time to post all the things I have to say!)

Have just found your blog and loving it so far!

Thanks for pointing out the business resources. Sounds very useful. And I must get around to entering the comp!

I encourage any mum looking for an alternative to a “normal job” to invest in some dedicated thinking time to come up with an idea for a little biz. It took me a few months to come up with one, but the flexibility it gives me to be with my kids when they need me is invaluable. We all have talents and ideas, and in the on-line world many businesses can be started with very little money.

Would love you to visit http://www.myplayhouseadventures.com to see my fabulous fabric cubby houses, which fit over your dining table to create a new imagination-stimulating play space for your kids without cluttering up your home. <3

Hi Kirralee – What a gorgeous idea! We are often making cubby houses with blankets etc over our dining table – major drawback is the blankets usually get pulled off frequently by the little ones. Good luck with your launch.

Thank you so much Nicole! That’s exactly how I came up with the idea – trying to figure out how to hold the sheets and blankets up without the phone books, which inevitably ended up on my 1 year old’s head.

Kids just love having their own little hidey hole. Sometimes I think I should design one for mums too. A few cushions, mags and choc, and I think I could be very happy under the table :-)

The Huggies Muminspired Grant is a great find! Thanks for sharing it. Since I’ve started up my own business I have been ‘looking around’ to see what other mums are doing with their businesses and the ideas they bring to the market. I am constantly overwhelmed by the creativity these women represent. Considering that mums are some of the busiest most ‘in demand’ people on the face of earth, the fact that there is still something left in there to give back to the world is inspirational!

Thanks Nic. I support any mum in the tough challenge to determine personal path post children. It is uniquely different for every mother but often a phase that feels so unsuppported. In addition to the wonderful inspiring program of Huggies, I recall stumbling across the following site a year ago:
    http://www.returningtoearning.com.au/ . There are limited grants of which are issued at different times throughout the year – and understandably go quickly. There is a specific criteria based on training providers etc. and it’s not for everyone, however, I was fortunate enough to be issued a grant which I used for on-line training with a Melbourne University. It was fantastic – just what I needed to get me motivated & started!