This is Mr I’s favourite cake. The kids are split on it – 2 love it, 2 don’t and the toddler – well he eats anything! I love it. For some odd reason it feels not so indulgent as chocolate cake. Nevermind the 2/3 cups of olive oil!
As my kids’ school and kinder are nut free, we made this cake with more carrot and omitted the walnuts. (Personally I think it is nicer with walnuts though!). I also don’t have an 18cm tin, so used a 20cm tin, hence the slightly shorter style cake.
Simple Carrot Cake Recipe
- 1 cup self raising flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2½ cups carrot, finely grated (or you can use 2 cups carrot and ½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Sift flour into a bowl.
- Add sugar and spices and mix.
- Pour in oil and eggs, then mix with an electric beater for 1-2 minutes.
- With a wooden spoon, stir in carrot and walnuts.
- Pour into a lined 18cm spring form tin and bake for an hour.
- Cake should be cooled in tin for 15 minutes before turning out.
Our Family Menu Plan For This Week.
Baking: Carrot Cake
Monday: Beef Stroganoff
Tuesday: Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
Wednesday: Left Overs
Thursday: Fried Rice
Friday: Scrambled Eggs Recipe
If you are looking for further recipe inspiration, check out my complete list of Family Friendly Recipes. All of these recipes are in the database of the Planning With Kids Free Menu Planner. You can use the menu planner to plan a week of meals for your family and then print out the associated shopping list. Tweet