Buying hamburgers and chips from the local fish and chip shop costs us a small fortune with the five kids. It is good though to have some “fun food” occasionally, making homemade hamburgers with our special homemade chunky chips is a more affordable way that we can do this. It is a special treat and one we usually save for weekends. They are easy too cook and if it is a nice day, the hamburgers can easily be cooked on the BBQ.
Homemade Hamburgers With Chunky Homemade Chips
- 10 – 12 Rolls
- 750gms Minced Beef
- 3 Carrots
- 1.5 Onion
- 1.5 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 4.5 tbsp Tomato Sauce
- approx 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- Beetroot (some of my kids love beetroot in their hamburgers, others like me are not so keen!)
- 10 large potatoes
- Additional Tomato Sauce /Chutney or preferred condiment
Instructions for chunky chips:
- About an hour before we want to eat I cut the potatoes into thick chip size and preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
- Steame the potatoes for 15 minutes.
- Placed them on trays lined with baking paper and brush with oil and season with salt.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until crisping nicely. Turn once during cooking.
- To make hamburger mixture place mince in a large bowl.
- Finely chop onion and grate carrot and add to mince.
- Add Tomato and Worcestershire Sauce and mix well.
- Use a handful of mixture and make it into a patty. I kept mine thin so they cook quickly and properly all the way through.
- Heat oil in a large frying on a moderate heat. Add hamburgers and fry for about 5 minutes each side, until cooked.
- While the hamburgers are cooking, slice cheese and tomato and cut up lettuce and cucumber.
- We serve the hamburgers in their roll and have the other ingredients set out on the table for the kids to add themselves.
- In the top photo, I have some lovely homemade chutney from my dear friend Cath – sensational in a burger!
This makes 12 – 18 hamburgers depending on the size. You can either cook them all up or freeze half of the uncooked hamburgers and have them another time.
Our Family Menu Plan For This Week.
Baking: White Chocolate Mud Cake
Tuesday: Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
Wednesday: Left Overs
Thursday: Fried Rice
Friday: Gnocchi Bake
Sunday: Sausages and Steamed Vegetables
If you are looking for further recipe inspiration, check out my complete list of Family Friendly Recipes. All of these recipes are in the database of the Planning With Kids Free Menu Planner. You can use the menu planner to plan a week of meals for your family and then print out the associated shopping list. Tweet