I hadn’t made these fritters for quite some time. They are always a huge hit with the kids and when I have served them at birthday parties, the adults are all pretty keen on them too. They make a great canape when you are entertaining for families. I have made them in advance and then warmed then in the oven just before serving. This recipe was based on one from the Donna Hay Magazine, a Kids Issue edition.
Carrot and Beetroot Fritters
- 3 cups of grated carrot (approx 5 medium carrots)
- 1 cup grated beetroot (approx 1 large beetroot)
- 6 spring onions finely, chopped
- ½ cup flat parsley, chopped
- 1 cup plain flour (or arrowroot flour if wanting gluten free)
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- sea salt and cracked pepper to season
- oil for shallow frying
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup sweet chilli sauce
- In a medium sized bowl place all ingredients and mix until well combined.
- In a large frying pan, cover the base with enough oil to shallow fry the fritters on a medium heat.
- Once oil is heated, drop tablespoons of the fritter mixture into the pan, cooking the fritters in batches.
- Cook the fritters for about two minutes each side, so that the outside is golden and crispy.
- Remove from pan and allow to sit on paper towel to drain.
- Serve with sour cream, drizzled with sweet chilli sauce.
Family Menu Plan For The Week
Monday: Slow Cooker Roast Lamb
Tuesday: Tuna Rice
Wednesday: Left Overs
Friday: Spaghetti Bolognaise
Sunday: Left Over Meat Triangles