I hadn’t made these fritters for quite some time. They are always a huge hit with the kids and when I have served them at birthday parties, the adults are all pretty keen on them too. They make a great canape when you are entertaining for families. I have made them in advance and then warmed then in the oven just before serving. This recipe was based on one from the Donna Hay Magazine, a Kids Issue edition.
Carrot and Beetroot Fritters
- 3 cups of grated carrot (approx 5 medium carrots)
- 1 cup grated beetroot (approx 1 large beetroot)
- 6 spring onions finely, chopped
- 1/2 cup flat parsley, chopped
- 1 cup plain flour
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- sea salt and cracked pepper to season
- vegetable oil for shallow frying
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup sweet chilli sauce
- In a medium sized bowl place all ingredients and mix until well combined.
- In a large frying pan, cover the base with enough oil to shallow fry the fitters on a medium heat.
- Once oil is heated, drop tablespoons of the fritter mixture into the pan, cooking the fritters in batches.
- Cook the fritters for about two minutes each side, so that the outside is golden and crispy.
- Remove from pan and allow to sit on paper towel to drain.
- Serve with sour cream, drizzled with sweet chilli sauce.
Family Menu Plan For The Week
Monday: Slow Cooker Roast Lamb
Tuesday: Tuna Rice
Wednesday: Left Overs
Friday: Spaghetti Bolognaise
Sunday: Left Over Meat Triangles
If you are looking for further recipe inspiration, check out my complete list of Family Friendly Recipes. All of these recipes are in the database of the Planning With Kids Free Menu Planner. You can use the menu planner to plan a week of meals for your family and then print out the associated shopping list.birthdays, celebrations, finger food, lunch box