My friend Meredith who gave me the delicious Rich Moist Chocolate Cake Recipe, has also given me a couple other of her favourite recipes to try. On Saturday we tried her Rolled Oat Slice. This is very similar to Anzac slice and will be a great recipe for lunch box treats. I doubled the recipe so there would be enough to last a couple of morning teas during school holidays.
Rolled Oat Slice.
- 1 cup Rolled Oats
- 1 cup Desiccated Coconut
- 1 cup Self Raising Wholemeal Flour (I didn’t have any so used standard self raising flour and it was fine.)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar lightly packed
- 125 grams butter
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 0.5 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat oven to a low-med temperature (approx 160).
- Mix together all the dry ingredients – rolled oats, coconut, flour and sugar. If you are doubling the mixture then you need to use a large bowl.
- Chop butter and melt butter with golden syrup on a low heat.
- Add bicarbonate of soda to boiling water and stir.
- Add this liquid to the melted butter and mix.
- Pour butter mixture into the dry ingredients and combine well.
- Press firmly into a lined baking tray.
- Cook for 15 – 20 minutes, until golden on top.
- Allow slice to sit for 10 minutes before removing from tray and placing on cooling rack.
- Allow the slice to cool for at least another 15 minutes before cutting up into fingers.
The Family Menu Plan For This Week
Baking: Rolled Oat Slice
Tuesday: Beef Curry
Wednesday: Left Overs
Friday: Spaghetti Alla Matriciana
Sunday: Slow Cooker Roast Lamb
If you are looking for further recipe inspiration, check out my complete list of Family Friendly Recipes. All of these recipes are in the database of the Planning With Kids Free Menu Planner. You can use the menu planner to plan a week of meals for your family and then print out the associated shopping list.lunch box, slices, sweet treats