Change Of Season – Children’s Clothes Reorganisation

Organising Children's Drawers

This is an update of a post I wrote back in the first couple of months of blogging, but it is still such a handy tip that I thought I would talk about it again as I have been doing the change of season reorganisiation.

We are now deeply entrenched in autumn here in Melbourne, so it is time to reorganise the kids clothes, pack away what they won’t be wearing for a while (eg summer school uniforms) and get out the bulky winter clothes.

I have also used this opportunity to clear out any clothes from the kids wardrobes and drawers that either no longer fit them or that they no longer wear. By far the best way I have found to keep kids drawers well organised is to use boxes (shoe boxes and cut up nappy boxes) inserted in the drawers to create defined spaces for the different articles of clothing.

As you can see in the photo, in one box there are bathers (anyone who know my preschooler will know how important this section is to him!), pyjamas, in another underwear and another socks. As all children preschool aged and above in our house are expected to put their clothes away themselves once they have been laundered, having very distinct compartments for the kids means that they are much more likely (notice I wrote likely!) to put the articles of clothing in the right spot.

So if you look closely at the photo, you will see the clothes aren’t necessarily neatly placed in these boxes as the control freak in me would like, but they have been placed (shoved!) in the right box by the preschooler and he knows where to find the items he needs.

What tricks do you have to help keep your kids clothes organised?

Comments

I don’t like doing this job – at all! I do but I put if off until the drawers and brimming. lol. Because I havee 3 girls in a row, I have labled boxes with relevant sizes on them. This makes it easy to pass the clothes from one girl to another.
    .-= Kelly Be A Fun Mum´s last blog ..Play Memories =-.

And I thought I was the only one who ‘creatively’ embraced old shoe boxes this way. Now all we need to do is get them to move things easily from the floor to the laundry basket…..

Another good article. Or daughter is 2 so as I notice an item is too small I put it in a nappy box behind her door. When the box is full I seal, label and store it in the shed for our 2nd baby (due in August) in case it’s a girl. I like your idea of having the kids put their own clothes away and I too will be happy to turn a blind eye to the non-folding method.

I am actually lucky that every room had built ins with mostly handgine space – We put a second suspended rung harf way down and i put all there stuff on clothes hangers (I hang them on clotehs hangers on the line to dry – so easy to put away – so easy to find stuff – and no rumaging
    .-= Steff´s last blog ..Monday 26th was for Big Boxes =-.

You have to love a cardboard box don’t you, so many uses. A low rung in the wardrobe is also fantastic for younger kids too, like Steff has suggested.

6. Vanessa says

My pre-schoolers love to help me with laundry. Well when it comes to putting it in the washer and then the dryer. I think I might have to try this shoe box system and have them help put away too. I know I have plenty of shoe boxes around here somewhere.

Thanks for the great tip!

what a great idea! i use shoe boxes in my own drawers but it never occurred to me to use it for my sons’ drawers too! add that to my weekend list…

I tried the cardboard boxes for a bit over twelve months but my girls kept pulling them out of the drawers to play with. I would return them, discuss that these boxes were for clothes storage and provide them with other boxes to play with. Figured it might just be the novelty and eventually they would lose interest in those boxes but it never happened. So in January this year I gave up the fight and now just let the girls throw their clothes into their drawer however they like. They are happy to dig through and find what they want to wear. It makes neat freak me cringe but doesn’t bother them.