Spicy Chutney Chicken With Mixed Rice and Family Menu Planby PlanningQueen on August 24, 2009 in Recipes
This was my favourite meal from last week. Three out of the four children liked it, the other thought it tasted “weird”. You could put a whole variety of things in the rice to spice it up, but time means I generally stick to a couple of ingredients. Next time I will also increase the chicken to about a kilo (4 breasts) as I think some of us could have done with a little more chicken on their plate.
Spicy Chutney Chicken With Mixed Rice
- 2 cups rice
- 1 large red capsicum
- 100 grams pine nuts
Spicy Chutney Chicken
- 750 grams chicken breast fillets (this is usually about 3 breasts)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 120mls chutney
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
The chicken cooks quite quickly, so I like to get the ingredients ready for the mixed rice first.
- Begin cooking rice via your preferred method.
- Seed and quarter the capsicum and place on a lined tray.
- Place under a hot grill and allow the skin to blacken.
- Once the capsicum skin is well cooked, remove from the tray and place into a plastic bag and tie a knot in the end of the bag. Allow to sit for at least 10 minutes. This makes it easier to peel the skin away.
- On a clean lined tray, spread the pine nuts and place under the grill so they are slightly coloured all over. (You need to keep a close eye on these as I have been distracted before and ended up with very black pine nuts.) Set aside until rice is cooked.
- Open the bag with the capsicum in it and peel off the skin. Then slice into strips about 0.5cm by 1.5cm. Set aside.
- I have issues with chicken being undercooked, so when I cook this dish, I actually slice the chicken in half width ways. This gives me thin slices of chicken that cook quickly (with very little chance of pink in the middle!).
- Make shallow cuts at 1cm intervals into the thin chicken breasts. This allows for the sauce to stick into the chicken.
- Combine chutney and spices.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. Cook chicken until browned both sides.
- Add the combined chutney and spices, stirring until the sauce is heated through.
- Add to cooked rice, the capsicum and pine nuts, mixing well.
- Serve a generous helping of rice on each plate and then place chicken on top, adding remaining sauce as desired.
How do your kids like spices? Do you think they would eat Spicy Chutney Chicken?
Family Menu Plan For The Week
Baking: Rice Bubble Treat
Monday: Baked Penne With Bacon
Tuesday: Shepherd’s Pie
Wednesday: Home Made Pizzas
Thursday: Morrocon Minted Beef
Friday: Left Overs
Sunday: Sausages And Steamed Vegetables
If you like the look of this family menu plan, then you might like to use The Planning With Kids Free Menu Planner. With the menu planner you can select your meals for the week and print our your own shopping list.