Last week I cooked Roast Vegetable Lasagne. This is definitely not a quick meal to cook, but it is super tasty. Also if you serve it up with some garlic bread, then the dish will last two nights.
Roast Vegetable Lasagne
- 750gms Lasagne Sheets
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Olive oil spray
- 850 grams diced tinned tomatoes (or sometimes I use 400 grams tomatoes and 500gms pasta sauce for a stronger tomato flavour).
- 1 white onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 600 grams butternut pumpkin
- 2 large red capsicum
- 2 large zucchini
- 1 large eggplant
- 350 grams grated mozarella cheese
- 350 grams grated tasty cheese
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 750 mls milk
- 75 grams butter
- Sea salt flakes
- Heat grill on high.
- Core and cut capsicums into large pieces.
- Place on lined tray and put under grill. Allow to blacken.
- Place capsicums in a plastic bag and tie a knot to close. Allow to rest.
- Slice egg plant thinly, spray with olive oil and sprinkle with salt flakes. Place under grill and cook for a few minutes each side. Take out and set aside.
- Heat oven to moderate temp (180 degrees Celsius).
- Slice pumpkin thinly. I aim for about half a centimetre Cut zucchini into slices.
- Place on lined or greased tray. Spray with olive oil and place in oven.
- Pumpkin will take about 40 minutes to cook. Turn once during cooking.
- Zucchini will take about 20 minutes to cook. Turn once during cooking.
What veggies do you include in your Vegetable Lasagne?
- Heat oil in a large frying pan on a medium heat. Add onion and garlic and fry for a few minutes until onion is softened.
- Dice tomatoes roughly and add to the pan.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until sauce thickens. (As the white sauce takes a little time to make, I tend to this once I have the pasta sauce simmering.)
- Turn heat off and gently stir in vegetables
White Sauce Instructions
- Chop butter roughly and place in a microwave jug and add flour.
- Cook for approx 45 seconds on high in microwave.
- Stir vigorously to make a smooth paste.
- Add milk, stir again and cook in microwave for 5 minutes.
- Stir again, getting lumps out, particularly from the bottom.
- Cook for approximately another 2 minutes.
- Keep going like this until the mixture is smooth and thick.
- Lightly spray lasagne dish with olive oil.
- Lay lasange sheets on bottom of dish. Break bits up so entire bottom is covered.
- In the pan divide the mixture into at least two portions (dependent upon lasagne dish size).
- Spread a half of the mixture over the lasagna sheets.
- Sprinkle with a half of the tasty and mozzarella.
- Repeat until all sauce has been used.
- After the final layer of lasange sheets, pour white sauce evenly over the top.
- Cover with aluminum foil. My older sister taught me recently that if you push some tooth picks into the dish, then arch foil over the top, the foil doesn’t stick to the white sauce. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Take off foil, turn off oven and turn on grill.
- Grill for 5 minutes or until golden on top. MONITOR CLOSELY.
- Take out of the oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Our Family Menu Plan for this week.
Monday: Baked Penne With Bacon
Tuesday: Left Overs
Wednesday: Chicken Korma
Thursday: Beef Stir Fry with Asian Greens
Friday: Roast Chicken and Vegetables
Saturday: Chicken Wings, Baked Potatoes and Corn
If you like the look of this family menu plan, then you might like to use The Planning With Kids Free Menu Planner. With the menu planner you can select your meals for the week and print our your own shopping list.
If you would like to have one of your recipes added to the menu planner database, just be one of the first two people to leave a link or actual recipe in the comments section on my regular Menu Plan Monday Post. I will add it to the database and then email to let you know it has been included.