Before I asked the children for their suggestions for this week’s meal plan, I actually took them through the below list of fruit and vegetables in season.

The following fruits and vegetables are at their best and cheapest in Australia in April:

Fruits:
Apple, Banana, Grapes, Watermelon, Figs, Nashi, Quince

Vegetables:
Asparagus, Beans, Beanshoots, Beetroot, Broccoli, Carrot, Cauliflower, Lettuce, Mushrooms, Potato, Pumpkin, Snow peas, Spring onion, Sweetcorn, Turnip, Zucchini

These lists are for Australia, but if you live in the UK you can see what’s in season at Eat the Seasons UK and for North America Eat the Seasons.

We then had a discussion around why it is better to use in season fruit and veg (cost and freshness) and then I had to answer a miriad of questions around why we could still get all this other food if they were not in season. Two core answers: the wonders of technology (eg. cold storage) and importing fruit and veg from other countries.

With all this information we were set to gather the families input and came up with this:

Monday: Pasta with Chicken and Spinach
Baking: Chocolate Chip Cookies (Recipe Attached)

Tuesday: Chicken and Seasonal Veg Stir Fry (Recipe Attached)

Wednesday: Pumpkin Soup

Thursday: Baked Penne

Friday: Roast Chicken and Vegetables
Inspired by the recipe on From Mummy’s Kitchen.

Saturday: Tacos

Sunday: Picklebums Easy Beef and Vegie Triangles
Kate has come up with a great way to use left over meat veg and turn it into a tasty meal.

As per the last few weeks, I have included the shopping list for this week’s menu plan as an excel file. The below paragraphs explain what is in the attached excel file below.

Menu Plan Shopping List 080407

It contains three separate spreadsheets. The first is named “Complete Grocery’ and it lists by supermarket aisle all the ingredients that are needed to cook the family meals for this week.

The second spreadsheet is named “Ingredient By Meal’ and it lists the ingredients that are required for the family by each individual meal this week. I have also left on the aisle and aisle subsection in this spreadsheet for reference, but if you want to print that out you will need to alter the print area.

The third spreadsheet is named “Menu Plan” and is a modified version of the menu plan that I print and place on the fridge. I have a notes section, that I like to populate with any activities that are likely to impact the evening meal routine.

Want to see what we are having next week? Subscribe to my free email updates via the “subscribe page” or from the RSS Feed icon at the top of the page.

For more menu planning ideas head on over to Laura’s place at “I’m an Organizing Junkie“.

Did you enjoy this post?
Need help getting organised? Download Guide ✼ Plan ✼ Check ✓ to get you started.
Sign up for our newsletter and get a free guide to help simplify your daily tasks.
Tags: ,

• kate April 07, 2008 at 10:59 am

oh we have almost matching menus this week… well ok we are having two similar meals and we are having triangles too… Yum! Thanks for linking to me too!

kate’s last blog post..How The Princesses Stole my Daughters’ Futures…

• Dara April 07, 2008 at 2:31 pm

I love that you took the time to explain about the seasonality of fruits and vegetables to your kids. Sometimes I forget how much even my little guys can understand, when we take the time to discuss it with them. Thank you for reminding me.

Dara’s last blog post..Saffron Brown Texmati Rice

• Homemaking Mama April 07, 2008 at 3:50 pm

WOW! Great blog and a very yummy menu. Happy MPM!

Homemaking Mama’s last blog post..Menu Plan Monday

• Penny April 07, 2008 at 3:57 pm

What a great thing to discuss with kids :)

Penny’s last blog post..Menu Plan Monday

• Forgetfulone April 07, 2008 at 3:58 pm

You are super-organized! Sounds like a tasty week at your house.

Forgetfulone’s last blog post..Menu Plan Monday

• Michelle April 07, 2008 at 4:01 pm

Oh I love it.pickebums easy beef and veggie triangles.I’ve said it before and I”ll say it again it’s great that you have the attachments…thanks so much…

Michelle’s last blog post..Prayer Circle…*Sticky Post Will Stay At The Top*

• Org Junkie April 07, 2008 at 4:08 pm

Have a great week!!

Org Junkie’s last blog post..Menu Plan Monday ~ April 7th

• sherry April 07, 2008 at 4:19 pm

Everything looks so delicious! Have a wonderful week,

Sherry

sherry’s last blog post..Menu Plan Monday: Using the Sales Edition

• Zoe April 08, 2008 at 12:02 am

I was goign to say “my list would look a bit different than that right now” and then noticed that you had already shared the link for the UK. OOOh Jersey royals are on our list, YUM!

• magpie April 08, 2008 at 5:45 am

Thanks :) I love the fact that you use seasonal veggies. This is something I’ve been trying to do recently.

magpie’s last blog post..Menu Plan Monday

• [...] You might not notice that with what has been chosen this week though! It is all very basic and child friendly food this week, still inspired from what vegetables are in season. [...]

• FRANCINE May 28, 2008 at 7:17 pm